Think insurance is boring? We did too. So we built a company that takes everything you think you know about buying insurance and turns it on it’s head. At Cover, we’re disrupting an industry. It’s something we’re proud of and it inspires us to come into work every day. Everyone here is passionate about what we’re doing, using cutting-edge tools to build leading-edge tech.
We are a Silicon Valley startup operating in Toronto and we are scaling. Right now, we’re looking for smart, collaborative, innovators to be part of our dynamic environment. A place that celebrates successes, welcomes debate and nurtures a positive, learning atmosphere. Every Friday, we hear from the leadership, sync up our San Francisco and Toronto offices, show off what we’ve built and have fun. We’re not saving the world but we are saving people money and ensuring they get a fair deal in a way that exemplifies what smartphones were built to do. Bring us your ideas and your energy; show up ready to have a creative conversation. We will help you achieve your best potential.
Five fast facts
- We read. As part of our Technical Book Club, we just finished reading Building Microservices and Eloquent Ruby.
- We learn. As part of our continuous commitment to learning every employee has access to an annual learning stipend.
- We have challenging engineering work. We’ve built an insurance rating engine from scratch.
- We meet. Our co-founder has weekly open office hours and sets up one-on-one individual meetings, as well as technical workshops to ensure everyone is up to speed and continuously learning.
- We have a lot of fun. We have ping pong tournaments at Spin; axe throwing competitions; escape room adventures and kickoff long weekends with cocktails created by the founders.
- We have unbeatable benefits. Gym memberships; daily lunch stipend and an enviable vacation policy.
Who we need
A transformer, a relationship-builder, a pitch-in wherever I’m needed team player. Someone who wants to be a leader and a doer. Whether you have a few years of experience working in start-ups or insurance or you’ve founded a company or two yourself; this is an opportunity for a Senior Ruby Developer who wants to help our team architect, build, scale and automate across our product pipeline from user experience to insurance data reconciliation and reporting.
We need a Senior Ruby Developer to work on the Policy Administration team. Someone who wants to design, drive and implement solutions. From translating business specs to technical requirements; from testing and fixing code, this is a build-it-new challenge for a Developer looking to be part of a growing, exciting company.
If you’re the kind of person who creates the solutions you want to see; who builds the applications you want to use and who provides the experience you want to have, then we want to talk to you.
What’s in it for you? This is a new way of working in insurance technology. No legacy systems. No tech debt. Just, how you will line up with our values:
Innovation. This is an opportunity to build from scratch; to innovate solutions in an environment where you have the freedom to introduce the technology and tools you know to be the best.
Efficiency. We aren’t bogged down in layers of hierarchy and process. What does exist is there to help everyone do their best work and have fun doing it. You will learn from and report directly to one of our founders. You will be part of a team focused on shipping thoroughly tested, quality code. You will be supported by your peers who will also seek your advice and opinion.
Trust. We are building an insurance company from the ground up and we need intelligent individuals we can trust to help guide the work; people who want to be part of our growth. As we expand our presence across the US; we need to create customized solutions that adhere to regulations and governance. This creates on-the-job learning for our teams to expand their knowledge, gain new skills and stay motivated. As an early joiner, you will see the chance to move up to a lead or architect role rapidly become a reality.
As our new Senior Ruby Developer, you have:
- The experience. You have 4+ years hands-on experience with:
- Ruby on Rails.
- Relational databases (PostgreSQL).
- Building and scaling user-focused mobile applications.
- The passion. You want to make a difference and see the impact of what you do working on mission critical systems.
- The collaborative approach. You know how to write clean, easy-to-understand code. You strive for perfection and have a history of shipping well-tested code quickly.
- The leadership potential. You have an interest in mentoring junior engineers.
- The communication skills. You have outstanding oral and written skills. You can translate business to technical and vice versa easily. You are comfortable working with stakeholders at any level.
Why join us
Cover is not just another app. We are both a brokerage and an insurance provider. More importantly, we prioritize the end user experience with fast, easy-to-use technology and equally fast and responsive customer service.
In a world of instability and startups popping up; you can come to Cover and feel confident in your choice. We were created by Founders who have already built successful businesses and we are partnered with OneEleven, a global scale-up hub focused on helping the most promising, high-growth tech startups build their businesses and scale their operations. Having recently secured $20 million CAD in funding led by Tribe Capital, we are well positioned to add to our teams and expand our product offerings.
This is a place where Developers are front and centre; a strategic part of our success. We’re aiming for 50/50 gender diversity (and hey, if you don’t fit into either side of that ratio, that’s okay too) and global representation that makes our potlucks an international feast, we’re a company that cares about how smart you are and who you are, not the boxes you do or don’t check on a form. To that end, if you feel like you have something to contribute but don’t quite meet all of the requirements we are looking for, submit your application anyway, we promise to take a look.
If Cover sounds like the type of company you want to be part of, express your interest here or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn or Medium to learn more about us. Don’t miss Pablo’s Christmas Coding Story, the story of our developer-turned-Engineering Manager who taught himself Ruby over the holidays.
Cover welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.